RE: Britfest redeux - my lovely drive home (not)...

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Britfest redeux - my lovely drive home (not)...
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 23:39:35 -0400
Wow.  Talk about surprised.  I didn't even wash the car (other than hose it
down) for the show.  Just jumped in and ran over.

It was a wonderfully day.  I scored big with a set of British heritage
approved rear RB midget springs for $15; barely used.  Between the springs,
and winning 3rd, my day started out pretty lucky.  But alas, my luck was not
to stay.

Almost killed myself when the brakes let go on Route 10, about 10 miles from
the show. Had just enough pedal after pumping to stop just before nailing
the car in front of me.  And I do mean "just".  Inches only.  Limped to a
parking lot, and checked the master.  Almost empty, and liquid clearly
visible on the footwell.  I checked it last weekend, so the leak was during
the week/on the trip.  The rubber seal on the cap is goo, so I assume the
rest of them are as well.  I had a extra large container of brake fluid in
the trunk, so I filled it, tried the brakes, and braved the ride home.  I
had to top it off about every 20 miles (I'm losing 3/4" of fluid per 20
miles).

While driving, I was intermittently getting a soft pedal, but rapid pumping
kept bringing it back.  I finally got home in one piece, and park the car in
the driveway.  Spend the rest of the day doing this and that.  GO to pull it
in the garage at 10pm, and I have a flat ont he front driver's side tire.

I guess it was a balanced day for the Midget.  Good drive out, bad drive
back.  Award at the show, flat in the driveway.  Did I mention that losing
brakes isn't any fun?

Oh well.

Mike
'78 Midget