RE: non-Spridget(fire)

To: "'Jacques Le Clainche'" <jleclainche@cox.net>
Subject: RE: non-Spridget(fire)
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 22:34:35 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jacques, Reminded me of when I put a new engine in my super seven in the
70's, headed down the road for the first drive and could smell
wire/rubber smoke.  Got out with my buddy pulled bonnet and couldn't
find anything wrong. Started going again and same story, repeated three
times.  Then I noticed that my jacket was on fire and I could only smell
it when sitting in the car at speed, the only reason I found it was when
it burned through the jacket to my skin. The only other car fire I ever
had was when I was 17 and decided to disconnect the second carb on my
Corvette to save gas as I stood on the side of the road waiting for my
plastic car to melt a Greyhound bus driver stopped and put it out, I
connected the carb back up and was good to go.  I've always carried a
fire extinguisher since then, and have put out three car fires over the
years, but never my own car. Payback!!!! You can get a loom (stock or
custom), get a hold of he who shall not be named.
                Crash

Spridgeteers,

I finally got my Lotus 7 Twin Cam back this morning. Had just time
enough to
see how much fun that car could be to drive... before I had an
electrical
fire on my way back home from the race shop! Pulled off... could not
turn
the engine off- ignition off, key out, engine was still running! I
pulled
the wire at the coil, disconnected the battery...

If ever it turns out the damage is extensive (it looks that way)- and
that
replacement is better than repair, can anybody on this list supply or
know
where to get a suitable wiring loom?.. or are you guys making your own
when
needed?

Jac in San Diego