Lubricating fulcrum pin

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lubricating fulcrum pin
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:52:43 -0700
Lubricating the front suspension on my '69 Mk.IV Sprite, I noticed
something. When greasing the fulcrum pin, I got a good ooze out of the end
of the threaded bush nearest the zerk fitting, but very little coming out of
the opposing "closed" threaded bush. I know that there's a longitudinal hole
through the fulcrum pin that grease is supposed to travel through so both
bushes get lubricated; could hardened greased (car has been laid up a few
years) be plugging this hole? I thought about removing the threaded plug
that carries the zerk fitting and using a thin, long drill bit or perhaps a
sharpened length of coat hangar wire to clean out the whole. Will this help?

I know that some remanufactured A-arms had the plugged end of the "closed"
bush drilled and tapped for another zerk fitting, so grease could be put in
from both ends. That got me to wondering if that was something that could be
done with the suspension together on the car. Could I carefully drill a hole
in the end plug of the bushing and run in a zerk fitting? The sticking point
(oops, pun alert) would be whether there's enough space between the end of
the fulcrum pin as installed and the plugged end of the bush. Anyone tried
this?

Jim Algar
'69 Sprite, owner from new