Finished with Rollers.

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Finished with Rollers.
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 13:14:49 EDT
Still working on the '79, trying to get it back to it's previous fighting
form.  I got around to replacing the front wheel bearings with the roller
bearing
I bought.  As advised by my guru mechanic, I at first started to install the
distance piece between them, but then noted that the distance piece actually
interfered with the outer bearing's ability to roll freely.  So I left it out,
then, like the previous lister, I tightened the nut to the suggested torque
value of 50-70 ft/lbs.  The damned thing wouldn't budge!  So I backed it off to
where it would roll without any looseness, and, again, like the previous
lister, the cotter pin would not come close to going into it's hole.  So I took
the
nut to my grinder, and after grinding and grinding as much as I dared, the
pin STILL would not seek it's hole.  Gave up, cleaned up the roller bearings
and
took them back to Advance for a refund and last night installed a great set
of Made in England ball bearings, just like it was designed to wear.
Everything fit right up. So I am done with the roller bearing idea.  "Dance
with the
one that brung ya!", as Bear Bryant used to say during Bowl time.

The next issue is still the loose steering.  I removed three of the shims
from the whatchamacallit that puts pressure on the rack, in order to tighten
that
up.  It is still shaky, so it looks like I am really going to have to pull
that radiator again and put in that other rack from the parts car--it seems to
be pretty tight.  I can't detect any movement in the fulcrum pin area nor in
the steering arm linkage--the whole rack seems to be shifting back and forth.
No broken or cracked clamps and the tube the rack rides in is solid.  Gotta be
the rack.  The car shimmies badly at 55 and up.  All wheels have been balanced.

--David C.