Re: Scrap yard finds - stuff for the list - 8" rear drums?

To: PilotRob@webtv.net (Robert E. Shlafer), Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Scrap yard finds - stuff for the list - 8" rear drums?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:31:56 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/1/2003 6:06:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
PilotRob@webtv.net writes:

> I was over there viewing the Shuttleworth
> Collection when one of the last flying B-24's made a pass
> over the
> field. This
> one was found in India. The second is
> owned by the Confederate Air Force here
> in the States and I think that's about it for
> flying B-24's.

Actually, there is a 24, in full military trim out of Maine I think?

A couple of years ago a 17 and a 24 flew into the airport a couple of miles
from my house.  I went out to the airport to see them come in, but they were
delayed several hours.  That evening, while out working in the yard, they flew
in low over the house on their final and I junped in the car and rushed out to
the strip.

The 24 was just taxiing into the terminal when I got there.  An aquaintance of
mine, that did his 25 missions in a 17 was there on the ramp watching them come
in.  The look on his face was worth as much as seeing the planes.

The pilot of the 24 craweled out and his 10-12 year old son, in a matching
period flight suit and leather jacket crawled out with him!

I went back the next day and looked them over carefully.  Lots of hair on the
guys that crewed those beasts.

Robert Houston
Transervicios S.A. de C.V.
915-592-2082