Re: MG Midget Buying Advice

To: Steve Kirks <srk@mac.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Midget Buying Advice
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:29:11 -0400
Steve,

To see what your in for if you don't see all the rust, go to my site:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kvcbk/  This was supposed to be a "rolling
restoration". I got it rolling, but it needed more bodywork than I thought I
could handle...

That said, mechanically on a post '75, you'll want to check the thrust washers
if you can. The crank end float on the Triumph engines is .006 to .014". So get
a good prybar and try to move the front crank pulley back and forth. If it
moves noticeably, suspect thrust washers. This would be confirmed by dropping
the oil pan and finding the two semi-circular bronnze washers in the pan. These
motors are also kinown for going through big-end con-rod bearings as well. If
it runs, if the oil pressure is low, or you hear rod knock, you're looking at a
rebuild.

They are fun little cars, and though I haven't been able to drive mine much
(just a spin down the street before I dismantled it), they are rewarding little
cars.

-=Chris (The "other" Chris K.)

From ckotting at wideopenwest.com
Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:09:39 -0500

>Steve -
>
>You might be in for the deal of a lifetime, or you might be
>in for a huge pile of grief.  It's up to you to determine
>which.
>
>First off: Where are you and where is the car?  You would do
>well to contact the list with that info, so we can see if a
>lister is available to go with you to take a look at it.
>
>Things to watch for:
>1) Rust
>2) Rust
>3) Rust
>4) Hidden Rust
>5) New paint jobs hiding bondo and rust.
>
>Everything else is easily fixed.  Parts are plentiful, as is
>knowledge and information.  Talk to the owner about the
>problems and report back to the list.  Categories of
>problems (other than rust):

snip!

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kvcbk/