Re: Call for MC part, i.e. new piston.

To: "Guy Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Call for MC part, i.e. new piston.
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:18:29 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hello Guy,

Nope, you've missed it entirely. I too thought that the problem would
be with the primary seal in the bore. However, that seal provides
compression and is not really designed to keep all the fluid in the
MC. Let me explain.

First this is a newly brass sleeved unit, bead blasted and restore to
better than new condition. It was fitted with a new seal kit as well.
It has not been used to do more than bleed the system.

Now the problem.

If you look at how these are constructed, you will see that the bore
has two diameters. The main aft bore is where the two braking pistons
operate. The larger forward bore contains a stationary seal where the
forward portion of the piston exits the MC. This is where the pedal
pushrod makes contact to operate the internal workings of the MC. If
you look inside a disassembled unit, you will see that there is a
3/16" hole drilled just before the mouth of the smaller bore. That
hole leads right up to the fluid reservoir. So, even if the primary
seal in the smaller bore kept out ALL the fluid (which it doesn't),
it wouldn't make any difference because the reservoir is supplying
fluid in _front_ of the primary anyway. This is necessary to keep
atmospheric pressure of the fluid and I'm told this design would not
operate were there not fluid in this location.

In order for the fluid not to leak then, the stationary secondary
seal must seal at the outside diameter AND the inside diameter where
the piston passed through the secondary seal. Since the last time I
searched for this piston, I was not successful in finding one, I made
some attempts to repair the gouges in that "outside" portion of the
piston, but was not completely successful. Seems now the only
solution is to replace it or perhaps find a Redi-sleeve for it. I
don't think they make anything that long though.

Gerard