Midget won't start

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget won't start
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:50:50 -0400
My luck ran out on Sunday, when the Midget (1970) stranded me on the side of
the road about 2 miles from home.  It started missing, as it has been recently
when it gets hot, then just stopped, like someone threw a switch.  It was over
90, so I thought letting it cool might help, but it didn't.  I checked for
spark with a timing light, and there isn't any.  I hooked up a dwell meter, and
the points seem to be working.  The dwell isn't spot on, but it's close enough
that the car should run.  I tried a new coil, since the miss had been heat
related, but that didn't help.  ALl the LT wires look OK.  The end of lead from
the coil to the distrib. cap isn't in great shape.  Can I cut off an inch and
stuff it into the coil tower just to get home? I plan to pull the distrib.
tonight to look for a loose wire or something.  Any other roadside diagnostic
suggestions?

Thanks
Dave Groundwater
(longtime lurker)