Re: Engine woes EDT

To: mg4fun@cablenet-va.com
Subject: Re: Engine woes EDT
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:50:44 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hmmm....

Probably a case of low oil pressure not
looked into by PO in a timely manner!! :)

I jest, of course, though this hard learned
"lesson" is nothing to really jest about at
all. I empathize with your situation.

Learned this myself as a kid long ago
when initially getting involved in applications where the "engine must
come out". And don't kid yourself, we've
both got plenty of company in this respect.

There are times to save money and times
to spend it "over and above" what  actually needs" to be done at the
time.

Anytime you have to pull the tranny is
"engine-work consideration time" but
certainly "bearing replacement time"
(unless the parts are truly "new").
And anytime the motor must come
out is clutch replacement time, whether
it's "needed" or not...same caveat.

Less time, money, aggravation and
"downtime" in the long run.

A lot of 3 main bearing LBC'ers replace
rod bearings every 25k, "whether they
need it or not". Can easily be done from
the bottom with the car on lift.

And with respect to the bearing "wear
pattern" you speak of:
it can also be seen (especially with only
3 main bearings) why due consideration
should be given to dynamic balancing of
the rotating assembly during construction
along with proper inspection of the crank
damper, even for a stock or mildly tuned
street daily driver.....though it might seem
like a waste of money as "it does nothing
for performance" (except to allow it to last
longer, all other considerations being
equal!).

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)