RE: Oil Cooler installation - A series

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Oil Cooler installation - A series
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:57:01 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
The reason I was wondering is because the smaller hose would be less of
a "snake-nest" and the cost of the 8 row 1/2" pipe, reduced to 3/8" on
each end kit is so cheap from Summit.  The cooler is also only 3/4"
thick so should fit either in front or back of the radiator.  The
pressure issue gets me though as the original pipe isn't 1/2" and more
like 3/8".  Must be the length of the run?  Do you think you could
compensate for the pressure drop with the relief valve? I run the ball
bearing and have to cut down the spring to keep the pressure out of the
90's anyway?  If you do find someone making an oil temp thermostat that
fits between the filter and housing, put me down for one.
                Crash

Hi Crash and List (awful lonely in AOL land  but they'll be hearing from
me
later!)

I have run 3/8 and 1/2 bore pipes with an oil cooler and there is a
noticeable pressure drop when using the 3/8 bore pipe.  I spoke to a
'plumbing' expert
over here and he advised that the 3/8 pipe was too small and caused the
pressure drop I had already identified.  I think that if you can live
with the
pressure drop there is no reason why you can't use the smaller bore pipe
but for
the price of the pipe why not use the larger hose.

Regards

Daniel1312

> I've never seen one for an A-series.  My question is why do you need
> 1/2" hose for the oil lines given the diameter of the original pipe?
> Summit Racing sells a tranny oil cooler kit with 3/8" hose for $40.
Any