RE: Cool car... sorta LBC

To: "'gerard'" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: RE: Cool car... sorta LBC
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:16:16 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Gerald,

      The Datsun motors you are talking about are the "A" series motors.
They came in a variety of sizes.  The most common sixes imported in to
the US were the A12, A12A, A14 and A15.  The model numbers refer to the
respective displacements.  The A12A was a short stroke version of the
A12 and was popular as a race engine because of its ability to rev up to
9,000+ rpm in race trim.

      The motors were very close to the Spridget motor because Datsun
bought licensing rights to the "A" series and their larger MGA and MGB
series motors from BMC. The Datsun 1500 and 1600 roadsters had motors
similar to the MGA-MGB.  In the traditional Japanese methodology, they
proceeded to fix all the design "flaws" in the motors.

      The A series motors from Datsun have:

*         8 port aluminum heads

*         counter weighted 5 main bearing crankshafts

*         full lip seals at front and rear of crankshaft

*         H section rods with rod bolts (like the 1275)

*         Full floating wrist pins

*         External oil pumps

Regards,

Tom Speed

www.MGRacer.com

'76 Midget (Son's Restored Driver)

'66 Midget SCCA Racer (SpeedRacer)

'84 Chevy S-10 (Tows SpeedRacer)

'98 Eclipse Spyder (Wife's Driver)

'98 Chrysler Town & Country Lowered Floor Conversion Van (Tows Me)

I've stopped 241 spam messages. You can too!

One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/}