Fun with sparkplugs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fun with sparkplugs
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
Too much time on my hands.  The racecar is ready for
the upcoming VCSDA event at Grattan Raceway and I have
been tinkering with little stuff (like making the diff
leak free in the off chance that there is actually
someone behind me at some point in the race). Anyway,
at high RPM, I had a plug gap close to .010 from a
piston being used as a gapping tool.  So I switched to
non-protruding tip NGKs, and have shimmed and indexed
the plugs (found a ton of "just right" .006" to .040"
shims at work in the scrap bin).  Question is (and
this is pretty esoteric), have any of you guys dyno'd
a car and seen any measurable improvement from proper
indexing of plugs?  Not covered in Vizard or Stapleton
so I assume the improvement is trivial, but it's a
favorite trick of dragster car and bike guys.

11 Days Til Green Flag,
Ron
"Grasshopper"