Re: Re: Hypothetical Question

To: <wbmcleod@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Hypothetical Question
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:02:56 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Well, I'll have to argue with David.  I've been buying and selling and
towing LBC's for over 20 years and have never had one wander off when towed
backwards....

Never, ever hesitate to argue with David! Unlike some people, David welcomes
a difference of opinion as long as there is experience and/or a good
rationale to back up that opinion.
As I implied, my case was around 20 years ago on a chunk of Detroit iron
with a tow truck (starting to sound like Clue...). Being a young idiot who
didn't know any better and couldn't seem to think any faster than realtime,
I thought the steering lock would hold it. When the steering lock sheared, I
was fortunate enough not to lose the load off the hook. I did indeed tie
down the steering wheel and made it to my destination, but I still would not
recommend it to anyone towing a car that they intended to see again for any
distance over 10 miles. At least for me, 10 miles is about as far as my good
sense seems to be able to keep the urge to push it a bit from getting
through. Have you ever seen anyone tow a U-Haul trailer at the 45mph that it
tells you is as fast as it is supposed to go? Neither have I.
David Lieb