Unsolicited Plug for The Perry Boys

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Unsolicited Plug for The Perry Boys
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
Just wanted to give some credit to the Perrys of
Rivergate Restorations.  These guys built the 1275
that I am racing this year.  The engine has been
completely leak free, doesn't smoke, etc., but I have
been fighting a top end miss all year.  I am very sure
I have been fighting multiple problems (bad coil, bad
carbs, low pressure from fuel pump).  Anyway, I hadn't
checked compression in a long time because there were
no other signs that the motor was bad.  The car was
running rough at Grattan last weekend, but really only
on the straights, like I was hitting a brick wall at
5500 RPM.  It was costing me a few seconds, but it was
actually making me a better driver on the rest of the
course.  I was still able to keep 1/2 second or so
ahead of Jeff Porasik "Park", another Thicko rookie in
a 120HP 1275 with suspension by Donato, so I was happy
(never quite did catch Deikis).  Anyway, while
adjusting valves, found compression was 190, 190, 60,
and 190.  Ooops.  Wet, it went up to 90.  Pulled head,
nothing obviously wrong.  Decided not to push it and
took Sunday off to watch Flounder kick ass.  Got home,
pulled piston, no obvious distress.  Send photos to
Perry at Rivergate, he sends me a piston anyway, under
warranty.  I wire brush old piston, there is a clear
smile from an exhaust valve on the piston.  I think it
was when I overrevved when the throttle stuck wide
open at Blackhawk as I was merrily spinning into the
weeds while getting too hot trying to catch an
ex-Jahimiak nuclear powered Sprite in the feature
race.  Pull valves, #3 exhaust is bent.  I tell Perry,
he sends a new Rimflow exhaust valve, under warranty.
I can't believe he did this, even with me telling him
everything looked like a "well, that's racing"
incident that normally causes suppliers to pull out
the "No Warranty On Race Parts" clause.

I have no financial interest, just wanted to express
my total satisfaction with these guys.  Anyone with
any trepidation about doing a rebuild themselves would
do real well to send them $1995 and get a rebuilt
street 1275 from them.

Later,
'hopper