Re: engine health

To: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine health
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:24:37 EDT
In a message dated 8/22/03 10:11:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca writes:

> Well, I now know what magnafluxing is.  Unfortunately, I saw the results on
> Miss Marple's original head.  There is a crack between the intake and
> exhaust valve on #4.  I also need seats all around.

Robett:

I have forgotten, what engine does Miss Marple have?  It might be a lot
cheaper to go for a used block or engine if you can find one.  I bought the one
in
my '79 off ebay for under $500 including shipping and after the normal machine
shop checks and cleaning, and installing new bearings, etc., it is running
quite well, although the tranny is pouring oil like a seive from the center
gasket.  Of course I too had the cracked head syndrome, if you remember the
bout I
had with FedEx and the lost head.  There ARE welders who can and will weld up
cracked heads, but I have no experience with that--I guess they would just
have to look at the head to see whether the crack was weldable.  Another option
is to look for a compatable engine to install, like the Mazda rotary that some
onlist have installed, or the Datsun 210 complete with 5 speed tranny, which
I am working on in my basement for possible transplant.

--David C.