Re: Iron V aluminum heads - was Re: engine health

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Iron V aluminum heads - was Re: engine health
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:11:20 -0400
Sorry I'm getting in on this a bit late.  But, let me relate my experience
with my MGB.

Stage 1 -  was a stock cast iron head modified by Sasco Sport.  Ported,
polished, big valves.  Installed on old engine with c. 272 cam.  Best lap at
Lime Rock = 1:19.021 - 9/4/00 Fall Festival

Stage 2 -  an early (#180) stock used Pierce cross-flow aluminum head on the
same engine with an additional 10,000 miles on it.  Best race lap 9/3/01 at
Lime Rock Fall Festival = 1:13.481

Stage 4 -  New 90% race engine from Fab-Tek with cast iron highly modified
5-port head, 290 cam, etc., etc.  Best race lap at 2002 Lime Rock Fall Fest.
= 1:12.61

Stage 4 -  Same engine with Weber 45DCOE replacing SU's.  Best test day lap
at Lime Rock (in traffic) 1:11.00

Conclusion:
    While Pierce heads may not be state-of-the-art, they are incredibly good
for an off-the-shelf unit.   X-flow results are certainly going to be better
than 5-port.  You can definitely run higher compression without knocking or
pre-ignition.  One of the guys at Pierce told me they have an MGB with 3/4
cam, & twin Webers on their x-flow alum head puts out 198 h.p.

BTW, I have installed a Longman head on the new 948 cc. engine that I'll be
installing in the Turner.  Won't be able to get to that until I return from
Watkins Glen & Collier Cup Race.  More on that in the future.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner