Re: Help - Blady W98 - no LBC

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help - Blady W98 - no LBC
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:06:06 -0400
Daniel,
Well I'm no genius with a PC, but we were never allowed to run windows 98 at
work because the PC Jocks in the information systems group said it had
"memory leaks".  They explained that after time the various start up files
and saved configurations on shutdown would render the computer useless.  I
ignored their warning and bought a home computer with Windows 98.  Sure
enough, in about 2 years I thought the computer was junk.  I called to the
local service center and they asked if I was running w98. When I said yes,
they just told me to use my recovery disk and reload the entire operating
system.  Problem gone! (for another year or so.) But soon the system began
to balk again.  Programs that ran fine before would no longer run.  Another
reload of W98 and the problem disappeared.  I now run a computer with
Windows XP.  Most of my old peripherals had to be changed because I couldn't
get XP drivers for them.  This turned out to be more expensive than staying
with w98 and reloading periodically, but is sure is more stable and
reliable.

Moral of this story.  Learn to re-install windows 98 periodically.  Else it
will die a slow death.
Upgrade to windows XP but this could cause lots of headaches with
peripherals that will no longer work with an XP machine.

Cheers,
Dick Rz.
77 Midget
71 Midget (Vintage Racer)