Re: ## Survey## Alloy Rocker/Valve Cover - A-Series engine

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ## Survey## Alloy Rocker/Valve Cover - A-Series engine
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:30:47 -0400
On Tuesday 02 September 2003 12:09 pm, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> Would you buy one and for how much of a premium of what Moss
> and VB sell for?

I think your going to have to offer something pretty special to compete with
the "Westlake" styled cover that is already availible.   MiniMania sell this
for $54.

As for what premium I would pay,  that depends.

If I was building up a Speedwell Coupe and I wanted to go "all out" I might
pay $100 for a cover with a SpeedWell logo on it.   However, I do not think
there are many people that are in that situation.  That would be a niche of
an already niche market.

If I am anyone else I think the Westlake one already fits the bill.

Anyhow, here some ideas to toss around:

If you crinkle paint it you won't have to polish it.  That would save much
labor cost.  The top of the fins need only be run across a belt sander to get
the "Ford Cobra" styled look.

How about an cleverly designed casting with a "mounting point" for a Custom
name plate?  You could then have a bunch of logo'd plates made up.  You then
could sell the unit with/without the plate at different price points.

Chuck makes a good point regarding the filler cap.  Look for something "off
the shelf" that fullfills this requirement.  Don't you or the foundry attempt
to design the cap.  Locate a nice pre-made flip cap and design the cover to
accept it.

Think "elegant design" & "simple manufacture".

Have you looked into an Asia foundry?  I'll bet you that Westlake styled one
is made in Asia.  However, I am sure "Made in UK" holds some value to your
potential market.

BTW, I recently recieved an unsolicited email from a foundry in Asia the other
day at work.  Why they were trying to drum up business from a software
engineer I'll never know.   Unless...maybe they knew that I knew you...and
that they knew you were looking into foundry's....OH MY GOD! THEIR MONITORING
US...THEIR..THEIR..TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!