RE: Welder choice

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Welder choice
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com> wrote:
> Ron,
> Interesting.  Apparently, welders in your part of
> the country finally priced
> themselves out of business.

Hmmm...don't want to go anywhere with this, but
sometimes the customer prices you out of business (see
the Home Depot argument for reasons why places sell
less-than-top quality goods...).  I work for Smiths
Aerospace, as in the people that used to make LBC
gauges.  We are now a 7 billion dollar company.
Because the airline industry is flat (that's being
generous; it's going downward, bigtime), everyone is
cutting costs to maintain profit levels.  I just
received a huge business opportunity from Boeing that
specifically addresses the desire for them to have us
outsource to China for major subassembly work AND
machining.  It's cheaper, they want it.  And software
is to be done in India.  This from a company that 3
years ago made everyone prove they weren't buying
Titanium from Russia...

So even in Rockford, named the most affordable place
to live in the US 2 years ago, we can't compete with that.