Fuel pumps

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel pumps
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:22:18 -0700 (PDT)
I'm thinking about electric fuel pumps for my Bug project. I have 3 after
market pumps ( of unknown origin) and 2 SU pumps. Silly me, I like the old SU
pumps and would like to use one of the after market jobs in the boot for a
spare. One of my SU's is a spare for my MGB. The other pump, is an older model
having no condenser or the later style diode assembly. Not withstanding the
argument of SU vs after market pumps, how does one tell whether or not the SU
pump is positive or negative ground?? If the condenser or diode is not
installed as in this situation does polarity matter?
Markings on the plastic cap show "pump type L" and "12V". The marking on the
aluminum portion of the body shows "SU Part No 4080".  The only other marking
was a screw head underneath the cap holding the bakelite was painted orange.
No other indication of whether the pump is positive or neagative ground.
Anybody have any ideas?

Larry Pitts
60 Bug