Re: Texas Emissions Standards

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Texas Emissions Standards
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:36:58 -0500
Mike,

There is a 24 year and olded exemption
(.http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_emis.htm#reqemistest.)
for the emissions test (they did not put my 1977
vehicle, non-Spridget, on any emissions tester).  I
only had to pay for a "Safety Inspection", which
includes the usual brakes, lights, horn
.http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/veh_class_list.asp?class=Passeng
er+Car&classsubmit=Go.
 That also applied when I registered the vehicle (it
came from out of state).

Texas also has what is called "Antique Plates",
.http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/spplates/specialplate.htm?nbr=70.
 which is quite a bargain if you only use the car for
club rallies and limited recreational driving.  It is
only $50 for five years, and you do not have to have a
safety inspection.
.http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/veh_type.htm.

I do believe in all cases you must have proof of
liability insurance to register a vehicle and obtain a
TX drivers license, you may also need a social
security card to get a TX drivers license, though they
may have recently removed this requirement.

Hope this helps.

--
eugene
66 Sprite