RE: Isabel

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <spritenut@Exit109.com>, <w.lists@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Isabel
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:30:07 -0400
Cc: <Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
This reminds me of the hurricane we had in NY in the fall of '92 (Hugo?)  I
was volunteering at the NY Aquarium located in Coney Island (right on the
beach).  They were in the process of building a new exhibit called "Sea
Cliffs" that was designed as a natural habitat for seals, walruses,
penguins, and a few other animals (like otters).    Total cost was expected
to be approximately $50mil.

Part of this cost was the installation of a million dollar sealing system
(no, not the animal) designed to protect the interior of the exhibit from up
to 8 feet of flooding (flood doors, waterproofed concrete, pumps, sensors,
etc...).  They were 3 weeks from completing the system when the hurricane
hit.  It cost a few extra million (of insurance money) to replace all the
wiring and computer control systems that were ruined by the flooding...

I bet that contractor got an ear full.  He was 5 weeks behind schedule.

<sigh>

Mike