engine troubles

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine troubles
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:20:55 -0500 with any abuse report
I just got back from a trip to a car show, about 50 miles away, with the
bugeye, I never made it there.

I started out this am with cleaning the car up, topped all the fluids etc.
I even put some octane boost in the tank,(hope that aint the problem)  Any
way I am on the road doing about 3500 rpm and I start hearing a noise, and
the engine seems to be puffing a little oil smoke ( I have a sensitive
sniffer) I keep going, but it seems to get worse, and then oh yes it is
getting worse. The noise seems to be a loud knock coming from the area of
the exhaust manifold, to the point that I pull over and take a peak. Nothing
seems to be amiss, but when I get back in the car it is much worse now,
under power going up a hill it sounds terrible so I let off and kinda coax
it up the hill..  I am about 35 miles from the house, still 15 from my
destination, and make the decision to turn around.  All the time it sure
seems to be getting louder and louder.  It even seems as though, maybe my
imagination, that the revolutions in the engine are out of balance, like a
gyro that's getting interrupted.  I make it home, but it barely has enough
power to get up the driveway.

I am curious what happened to the engine, I am not totally upset, because I
had made up my mind a month ago to have rivergate do a 1275 for me, along
with a 5 speed, so financially this isn't a problem.

Last week I got the petronix installed finally, and had timed it with a
light to perfection, so that shouldn't be the problem either..

Was it just "time" for this to break, or did I do something to it?

any ideas?

Willy

willy@thompsoncarpentry.com

www.thompsoncarpentry.com