Re: Ban Doctors! NO LBC...Gun Content!

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, RBHouston@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ban Doctors! NO LBC...Gun Content!
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:05:40 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Lots of blame being dispersed here, but I will add
what I know to be true, being a director with
profit/loss responsibility at a medium sized
corporation.  This year, we are asking the employees
to increase their contribution to health care costs.
Having been an engineer/worker bee for a long time, I
would normally have assumed that any increases in
health care to the employee would be directly passed
on to the employee by dirty old management. This year
we are taking a "hit" to our bottom line because of
health care.  Costs have risen 22% this year, while
profits have not.  We are asking for the employees to
bear roughly 20% of the increase, with the company
"eating" the other 80%.  That's pretty good.  I see
one guy on a daily basis who has cost us $100,000 in
medical bills this year, not to mention 196 hours in
sick time. Today, I saw his 5'8" 250 pound frame
carrying in a McDonald's lunch dripping with grease.
We still cut him the 20/80 discount on health care.

This year, we were sued something like 39 times for
various reasons (workman's comp, wrongful dismaissal,
etc.).  We settled -0- times.  We went to court -0-
times.  It cost us over $20,000 in legal fees PER
instance.  Shakespeare had a comment about this, I
think.