Miata bad stuff to look for (No LBC)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Miata bad stuff to look for (No LBC)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
Since we's starting to talk about looking at Miatae, a
few hints:

On the early cars (1990s in particular), the
crankshafts tended to break at 100,000 miles.  This
has been isolated to cars that had timing belts
changed at or around that mileage.  The crankshaft
bolt is extremely sensitive to over-torquing, and
mechanic error has been generally accepted as the
cause during timing belt change.  I owned my 1990 from
new for 5 years, never had ANYTHING go wrong.  And the
slickest shifting car I've ever driven.

On the later cars, the 1999s had major issues with the
number 4 main bearing lunching itself.  Mazda never
owned up to the problem, but it was epidemic on
certain VINs.  Stay away from 99s.  Some 2000 owners
reported same, but in far fewer numbers.

In 2001, I bought a 6 speed.  A week after buying it,
it came to light that these cars, advertised as
variable valve timing with increased HP to 155 over
138 in previous years of 1.8L cars, actually had 142
HP.  Mazda was great - they offered FULL refunds, no
questions asked, or $500 + free oil changes.  I change
my own oil, but took the $500 and kept the car.
Shortly thereafter, the clutch began to shudder on
take-up in an ungodly fashion.  Second gear had a
crunch.  What was the best shifting car I'd owned (the
1990), became the worst, especially in cold weather.
Redline, Royal Purple, Voo-doo shift knobs (actul
product), witch doctors and animal sacrifices were
performed without benefit.  Mazda told me they were
working on it.  Turned out they finally had a complete
clutch replacement under service bulletin.  I had it
done.  It was wonderful. but 2000 miles later the
shudder was back.  I traded it on on the racecar tow
vehicle for a remarkable deal (they had a buyer lined
up).  I still follow Miata.net once in a while, there
are still clutch issues, and several other niggling
problems.

I'd stay with the pre-1999's, and the earliest 1.6Ls
are the most honest, with great handling at only 2190
lb.  Even now, they are around 2400 lbs.

YMMV...and don't sell your Spridget!

=====
Ron Soave

"I strolled all alone through a fallout zone, came out with my soul untouched."