Pistons, sorta

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pistons, sorta
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:53:42 -0500
If you all remember my questions a while back about the 3/4" swaybar I got
which was 6" longer than the stock unit, but was supposed to be for a
Spridget, I have since discovered that it is indeed for a Spridget and was
sold by Winner's Circle. I have ordered new attachment points for the A-arms
as well as new bushings for it. Even with the old bushings and an
"interesting" attachment, it really does make a big difference and I love
it!

On the other hand, Winner's Circle no longer seems to publish a catalog.
They do have a series of gif files on their website that were scanned from
the print version a number of years ago.

Looking through this "catalog", I was reading the description for the Omega
pistons.
On one item I read:
 "73.5mm flat top, makes a 1380cc motor when used with a standard stroke
crank".

The next item said:
"73.5mm 7cc dish, makes a 1352cc motor when used with a standard stroke
crank".

Now you know as well as I do that the top of the piston, although it impacts
the compression ratio, has no more bearing on the displacement of the
engine, which is determined by stroke x pi x the square of the radius of the
bore, than decking the block does.

So, when I was on the phone with them, I pointed this out. The response I
got was "We don't sell those pistons anymore." I just couldn't seem to get
the idea across to them that seeing something so blatantly screwed up in the
catalog makes me seriously question their credentials. I certainly would not
buy any engine parts from them. It really would not be hard to edit the
Omega pistons out of the gif file, even if they do not have any plans for
ever updating the catalog. I guess it is convenient to be able to say
"Sorry, we don't carry that anymore", but I would normally have ordered a
few more things to justify the shipping charges -- just couldn't bring
myself to do it and I ordered a second set of the bushings to prolong the
time before I would have to do it again.
Anybody out there that can tell me how good their stuff is? I need something
to offset the guy that wrote the catalog copy.
David Lieb