G-Tech data on Turbo bugeye

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: G-Tech data on Turbo bugeye
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:37:58 -0700
I finally got the chance to take the bugeye out on the country roads and try
out the G-Tech performance meter.  First step is getting an accurate weight.
Off to the local hardware store rock-yard where the scale said that the bugeye
with a half-tank of gas and me sitting it weighed a grand total of 1710 lbs.
I punched in the number and headed for the country.

I did three HP runs and came up with 79, 81, 84 HP.  The number getting lower
with increasing temperature of the motor.  0-60 times were 9.3 and 9.8
seconds.

All this time I imagined that this motor must be at least 100HP, but I suppose
that a lower number is to be expected at the wheels as this one measures the
HP of the car moving through air, which will include drag, unlike a static
shop dyno.

At least now I have a baseline to work from as I make improvements.  Clearly I
need a source of cooled air to feed the turbo since the readings went down as
I heated up.

Glen "New Toy" Byrns