Re: CA plate changes

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>
Subject: Re: CA plate changes
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 07:31:05 -0700
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Well, I can't speak very well for California, since I believe their
rules have changed in the last ten years, but Arizona has one standard
plate, one antique plate for cars more than 25 years old (I think, I
have never used it), and a bewildering variety of special interest (Save
the Spotted Owl) and vanity plates, all of which cost extra bucks.
Plate colors have changed rarely, and there is no particular cachet to
owning a set of peanut butter (they were supposed to be copper colored,
designed by committee) colored plates.

California issues plates based on the date of application, so that a
black plate car was first registered in 1956 (or whatever) and a blue
plate car in 1973, etc.  You used to be able to score a pair of black
plates from somewhere and register a period car with them, but I believe
that has changed.  I will let someone with more expertise answer about
California.

Enjoy your day, Bill
Slightly Classics
Tucson, AZ