Re: Rivergate conversion

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rivergate conversion
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:54:21 -0500
>        Rivergate's uses their own, which mean that if they
>        go out of business, you're out of luck. forever.

Or else that you would need to re-drill your flywheel for Paul A's
conversion.

>        with the rivergate kit,
>        this means that you have to modify the transmission tunnel, or
>        at least the shift gate, while Paul's kit has an "offset"
>        shifter, so NO mod's are needed. important if someone ever
>        wants to go back.......

There is NO cutting involved in a Rivergate conversion. Bill Perry does not
like to cut.
At an early stage in the development of the "5-speed in a Spridget" concept,
he tried
using a transmission that required cutting the bar behind the heels. This
resulted in a very "floppy" Midget and cured him of cutting.

>        also paul offers an angle drive gear for the speedo (with
>        proper ratio's) so that your speedo will still be accurate.

So does Bill Perry. Assuming of course that your speedometer ever WAS
accurate ;-)
Bill is perfectly willing to wait until your project is done and you can
feed him the final
results of what diff ratio you are using and what tire size so that your
speedo (or at least
the odo) really will be accurate.

That said, I do like the Datsun clutch assembly idea better than the custom
clutch disk.
Both kits are wonderful. I just have to finish installing my Rivergate
conversion this winter. as well as the Phantom Grip, the LCB header, etc.
David Lieb