RE: Question: lug nut torque 63 MK II

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Question: lug nut torque 63 MK II
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:20:45 -0700
The studs should be 3/8", so a proper torque will be somewhere from 38 lbs
to 42 lbs. Try 40.

If you have some lug nuts stripped, it might mean they have been
overtightened. I am glad you decided to renew all lug nuts, but you may want
to renew all studs too - not too great an expense, and all in the name of
safety. You may also want to consider going to 7/16" studs. Safer yet, and
then you would torque from 45 lbs to 50 lbs.

Jacques Le Clainche in San Diego
http://www.leclainche.com/

Tim wrote: I recently obtained a 1963 948 cc AH Sprite Mark II w/83 K
original miles. I
had it in the shop for the first time last week to check out a hot brake
drum, only to discover that several of the lug nuts were stripped completely
(3 lugs on 3 wheels checked, not very good odds for keeping my noggin
intact).

Obviously, I will be getting some new lugs. However, I checked the manual,
and could not find a reference to the proper torque to adjust the lug nuts
to. Any listers have any guidance on this?