Re: More disagreementRe: Other post on Re: First impressions- now brakes

To: PilotRob@webtv.net (Robert E. Shlafer)
Subject: Re: More disagreementRe: Other post on Re: First impressions- now brakes..
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:14:09 -0400
Cc: antony@antgel.co.uk, spridgets@autox.team.net, racerbob70@yahoo.com (Bob Van Kirk), Daniel1312@aol.com
I believe that the later cylinder is smaller. Now while this is a bit
counter-intuitive it is none the less important.

In an hydraulic system a smaller diameter cylinder will exert a higher
pressure for the same (for lack of a better term) volume of fluid
moved. Thereby making a smaller cylinder capable of exerting a greater
pressure on the brake drums, per Boyles Law (I think). I do not recall
the exact math tho. Nor am I sure this is the correct "Law". But I do
recall the principal when working for Caterpillar on hydraulic
cylinders and diesel fuel injectors.

 From http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/GasLaw/Gas-Boyle.html:

> Discovered by Robert Boyle in 1662. On the continent of Europe, this
> law is attributed to Edme Mariotte, therefore those counties tend to
> call this law by his name. Mariotte, however, did not publish his work
> until 1676.
>
> This link takes you to a discussion of the experiment Boyle performed,
> the data he gathered and his picture.
>
> His law gives the relationship between pressure and volume if
> temperature and amount are held constant.
>
> If the volume of a container is increased, the pressure decreases.
>
> If the volume of a container is decreased, the pressure increases.

Larry

--
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

  I have great faith in fools - my friends call it self-confidence.
  - Edgar Allen Poe