Re: Jerk

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jerk
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:47:08 +0000
I have some updated info.  Today, the car gave up and conked out!  The
stuttering got worse, until nada.  I stopped at the side of the road,
and it wouldn't restart.  I suppose I'm pleased that it isn't a
gearing-type problem after all.

The RAC came out within the half-hour, and the guy was pretty good,
albeit not solving the problem.  He filled the carbs with oil, raised
the idle speed to 1000 "to get me out of trouble", told me that the
points were closed, and adjusted them.

The car then ran well to my appointment, in fact it was much smoother
than before (probably the oil in the carbs).  But later on, when I went
on my journey home, it was pretty bad again.  I got home, but it's not
good.  Oh, and he tightened up the dizzy bolts, claiming that if they
are loose, that could throw off the timing.

So I don't plan to drive it until I've replaced the points, condenser,
rotor arm.  Might as well do the cooling system work that I'd been
plannin gat the same time.  And a carb tune for good measure.

I could be off the road for a month - I work full(er) time, and it's
hard to find time for car stuff...