Sprite Fifty Finale Race 2008

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sprite Fifty Finale Race 2008
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:26:35 -0600
Cc: "Vintage-Race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "Healey list Forum" <healeys@autox.team.net>, "Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
He Y'all

I've been toying with the idea of creating a European/American 50th
Anniversary Challenge Race Series for the Sprite's 50th Anniversary in 2008.
(Think something similar to what we did in the 1990 Healey Challenge, where
a number of cars were shipped over to race a season here.)

The logistics of this are huge, but not insurmountable... and we have 4.5
years  to get our poop grouped on this. If there's interest, I will begin
lobbying every major US vintage organization to designate the Sprite as the
featured marque for that year's event. If you think about it, Sprites might
have won more races over the years than any other car... can you think of
any that might have won more? They're still racing current era spec...45
years after their creation.

My initial vision would be "ala Team Thicko"... inclusive, rather than
exclusive... creating an unlimited class for current era SCCA stuff, and any
of the highly modified Sprites in Europe, as well as 1275, 1098, and 948
vintage classes. Not sure, but perhaps even include Midgets in the mix as
well... as they're at least fraternal if not near-identical twins to
Sprites. Including everyone and everything might be a tad optimistic... hard
to say at this point... but its open for discussion.

I suspect with the "rabid" Spridgeteers here in the US and Canada, along
with our friends across the Atlantic, that we'd have plenty of volunteer
help to pull this off. There are so many things to concern yourself in an
undertaking such as this. For instance, shipping of cars. Costs, insurance,
logistics, etc. In 1990 we had enthusiasts meet the ships as the cargo
containers were unloaded, and also help supervise the transport. Also,
volunteers to help trailer the cars between events is a possibility, vs. the
cost of having a Passport, or similar outfit truck the cars from venue to
venue. I'm not sure, as of yet, if the Sprite racers in the UK and elsewhere
(you too Gigante in OZ) have the financial wherewithal to assume the costs
of shipping a car, or the ability to take suffient time off of work to make
a number of events.

One mistake I've seen made all to often in events like these,  is an attempt
to try to squeeze the restorers, or Spridget parts suppliers, or race shops
for large amounts of sponsorship. The reality is, many, if not most of these
companies aren't raking in piles of dough. I'd rather seek sponsorship on a
grander scale if possible... but, who knows? Specualtion is premature at
this point.

I'd like to defray the racer's costs as much as possible, in every way, as
this will not be an inexpensive summer. One thing I've considered is to take
advantage of the concentration of events in the June/July timeframe. Also to
consider, are tracks that themselves are a draw. In June/July there are
events at Blackhawk, Mid Ohio, Mosport, Virginia, Road America... all within
say a 10 to 14 hour radius... so transportation time and costs are more
reasonable. I don't, however, rule out adding events on the east or west
coast.

Cars will need storage between events. Racers always need crew. Some will
need places to stay, etc.

Perhaps some would rather buy a car in the states, race it the season, and
sell it... which might create a market for those that want to prepare cars
for the series.  Also, in the 4.5 years from now, some of us (not me pal)
will no longer be racing, and there will be fresh faces in our ranks. It's
possible that some racing other cars currently might want to join us.

If my buddy John Sprinzel can remain warmer than room temperature til then,
I'd love to have him as Grand Marshall. Any other famous Sprite drivers
would certainly be welcome and recognized for their contribution to the
great history of Sprite racing.

Just tossing out the idea right now. Whattya think?

WST
Flounder
Team Thicko