RE: Tool help needed (going way off topic) But, not really

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tool help needed (going way off topic) But, not really
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:41:58 -0500
Just read Michael Graziano's post on this.  Right on!

My local hardware store is my LBC fastener Parts Dept.  Home Despot only
gets my business when all mom 'n pop stores have been exhausted.  Why?  Let
me tell you.

It began when I was redoing a bathroom.  Bought a sink & "Name brand" faucet
at HD.  After two "go backs" I did get a faucet that worked.  When all was
done, the white sink had a black mark that no rubbing compound or chemical
solvent would take out.  So, back to Home Despot for another.  No, they
didn't carry that one any longer.  So, I took a higher priced one.  That
went in fine.  After a while I noticed that the taper at the rear of the
sink top wasn't glazed.  The manufacturer saved a penny.  That was it!  The
rest of the fixtures came from a local plumbing supply store.

A few years later, I shared a cab from O'Hare to downtown Chicago with a guy
whose only client was Home Despot.  He told me why they carry such crap.
Every year when Mr. Sales Rep goes in to negotiate a new contract, Home
Despot will only accept buying a product at a lower price than last year.
Don't like it?  They'll find another greedy company who will play their game
and make junk.

Then there was the electric drill I needed quickly on a Sunday afternoon to
finish some work on one of the cars.  Got it home from Home Despot & when I
opened the box found it was well used.  When I complained, the Mgr. said
he'd give me 10% off.  Forget it!  Made him find me a new one.  Got that one
home & in going through the literature saw it was supposed to have a "quick
release" for the chuck.  Well, guess what?  It didn't.

Anyone need any more reasons to stay away from Home Despot?

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner
'66 MGB