Re: Followed me home

To: MGs List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Followed me home
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 02:47:34 +0000
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:36:48PM -0500, Carl Elliott wrote:
> A 1986 Jag XJS  V12 Coupe is now in my drive way. Excellant body and
> engine. Battery goes dead after sitting overnight. I am leaning toward
> internal short in Alternator . Takes a while for light to go out. Also
> Tach doesn't work as well as dash lights. Anything weird to look for as
> this is my firts go round with a Jag. Any guy/ girls have ahy
> experiance. let me know Carl E.

Great choice.  :)

The battery issue could well be a short, but let me tell you that the
boot light switch often doesn't get pressed in properly, and the boot
light may be staying on.  Put a video camera in the closed boot to
verify!  Other than that you could try pulling out a different fuse
every night to find the short.

I don't quite understand how you can compare operation of the tach and
dash lights.

You'll have a lot of luck on the XJS mailing list / forum at
www.jag-lovers.org.  Download Kirby Palm's (free) book, "Experience In A
Book".  Easily the best resource you'll find.  The number one enemy of
the V12 is overheating.  If the temp gauge goes above halfway, something
is wrong and you should look at it as a priority.

These cars are not as unreliable as people make out, provided that they
are maintained properly (this means doing it yourself).  I'd have two if
I had room in the garage.