Re: Panel beater help please

To: "Phil Nase" <pnase@enter.net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Panel beater help please
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:58:10 -0500
Phil,

No doubt about it, the way to go is with the spot weld drill bit and the air
chisel, but if you dont have either, or if you used two of the expensive
spot weld drill bits and still had spot welds to cut (like me), you find a
way to improvise.

First, because I didn't have an air chisel, I did have a jig saw with metal
blades. I cut the floor away so I didn't need an angle drill.  After
locating all the spot welds (wire brush), I used a small drill bit to start
a pilot hole as close to center as possible "Dont drill all the way through,
only enough to make a start hole. Then I went with my 1/2" drill bit (way to
big for spot welds, but the angle of the face would remove the most metal. I
then drilled each pilot hole to the depth of the panel I was removing, You
can tell because the metal will turn blue or rusty depending on the
condition. At this point it was a simple matter to use my cold chisel to
remove the lip from the floor pan.  Dress it up with a grinder and you are
ready to install new pan.

Just another way to do it. Worked for me.

Brent