Re: Steering Rack ??*

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack ??*
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:35:04 -0000
There are 2 types of "shims"
The metal shim, fitted to one side only between the clamp and the chassis
rail is to align the rack at a true 90 degrees to the steering shaft. The
top of the steering shaft is clamped to the scuttle and the shims are fitted
to ensure that there is no stress on the shaft to rack pinion joint.

The paper shims, if used, are to take up any tollerance between the clamp
and the tubular rack casing.

This isn't so much to prevent the rack tube from rotating - there is no
"incentive" for it to do so.  It is to prevent the rack tube from shifting
from side to side in reaction to the movement of the rack inside the tube.
Even slight movement here results in sloppy steering.

Guy