Re: Steering Rack ??*

To: wolfbj@prodigy.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Rack ??*
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 05:42:07 EST
In a message dated 11/25/03 5:32:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wolfbj@prodigy.net writes:

> I think you are thinking of the wrong shim.  I also have the thick metal
> shim
> on the drivers side where it mounts to the frame. The shim I am talking about
> is around the rack itselt where the frame brackets clamp to the rack.  The
> shim is shown in the VB catalog, but no part number.
>
> It provides the little extra grip and prevents the rack from rotating. I have
> been informed that without these shims, the rack will rotate and I won't
> forget it (LOL). It has been suggested to use masking tape, but I had some
> gasket material that was about the same thickness as what I took out so I cut
> my own.

Hmmm--Nope--none of my three Spridgets had anything more than the thicker
metal shim on one side or the other depending on the model.  And IT is
critical,
plus that it be on the correct side for the RACK model, not the car model.  I
can't see how the rack can rotate without a paper gasket.  It's pretty firmly
3-point bolted onto the bar that it is affixed to. But if it has it, it has
it.  Maybe something I need to find and re-add.  Just didn't have any on my '67
(which I don't think was ever disassembled between the factory and myself), my
'72, or my ;79.

--David C.