Help - Anemic fuel pumps

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Help - Anemic fuel pumps
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:34:17 -0700
All,

I've been messing with this for weeks now and can't get a reliably
running '72 Midget.  I've been having problems with it starving for fuel
and thought I'd fixed it by replacing a 3/8" piece of fuel line from the
pickup with a piece of 1/4" line.  Now, I still starve for fuel with the
same symptoms as before EXCEPT now the fuel pump comes to a slow tick or
halt instead of ticking like crazy.  I've pulled the line off the outlet
of the pump to make sure there was nothing plugged up the line.  I've
hooked up an inlet line to a gas can to make sure there wasn't a tank
problem.  I've bypassed the ground AND positive wires with another
inline, hardwired wire for each (ground to chassis, positive snaked up
directly to the battery).  I've swapped pumps with my MGB.  I've pulled
the pumps out of the car and tested them on a spare battery where they
tick like mad.  The problem gets worse the more I drive the car (first
five miles before it quits, then two, then one, then a half... etc.).

No, I haven't tested voltage coming back yet (or at the battery).  The
car still cranks fine.  Plenty of spark.  Lights are bright.

Other clues.... symptoms appeared after the engine was pulled, rebuilt,
and replaced a couple of months ago.  Might get two hundred miles.
 Might not get two miles afterwards.

Also, with either of the positive wires hooked up it'd tick.  With both
the original and my hardwire directly to the battery wire hooked up,
it'd tick faster, but still not fast enough to move gas (I could switch
the ignition on and off to hear the difference).

One wire (yellow with black stripe) was hanging loose under the hood and
looked like it needed to be plugged into the coil (sorta bent towards
it).  I hooked it on without any ill effects, but still no joy.

Is there somewhere on the car I need to check to see if the circuit is
broken?

 - Kendel