Re: Help - Anemic fuel pumps

To: Guy Weller <Guy.Weller@kencomp.net>
Subject: Re: Help - Anemic fuel pumps
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:22:32 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
>Firstly, the pump should NOT continue fast ticking.  If it does, it
>indicates a faulty pump, possibly a split diagfram, or that it is drawing in
>air on the length of pipe from tank to pump.

Like I said, I replaced a bit of line and the continuous ticking
stopped.  Same running symptoms now, but the car no longer ticks away
like mad with no fuel in the bowls.  Now, it barely ticks with no fuel
in the bowls.

>If the car  drives OK for a couple of miles and then suffers fuel starvation
>check that the air vent on the filler cap is not clogged.  Try driving a bit
>with the filler cap removed.

Tried that.  No change.  Blowing in the gas tank didn't drive much fuel
up into the carbs, but I'm assured it amused other drivers.

>Other possibility is a clogged fuel line pick up filter inside the tank.
>Try blowing air back into the tank from the pump feed line.

When I've run the tank out of gas, the pump will merrily tick away.
 This acts more like no electricity or a plugged outlet.  I've verified
the outlet isn't plugged by pulling the line off the pump out.  I've
verified the pickup isn't the problem by dropping fresh fuel line into a
gas can and plugging it directly to the inlet.

>And, you have got the in and the out fuel lines the right way round on the
>pump I presume?

Doesn't that lead to instability in the warp core?

btw, the gas guage reads high too.  Are there any other things besides
the fuel pump and gas guage that use the car chassis for ground?  Are
other things directly wired with ground?

 - K