Re: Stud enlargement

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stud enlargement
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:14:37 -0800
I did this conversion on my bugeye two years ago.  I bought the drill bits
in appropriate sizes, then went back and bought the correct one, then went
back and bought the REALLY correct one, then did the job myself on a drill
press.  With the existing holes as a guide, its hard to drill far enough off
center to cause any problem. I drilled the drums to a clearance fit and the
hubs to a tight interference fit .  I ordered the studs out of the NAPA
catalogue and they came in the next day.  Perfect length.  The studs tapped
in with reasonable force, pulled in tight with a lug nut.  No imbalance that
I can detect up to 100mph.  Two years of use (not racing) and no problems.

Sosmeone will always describe the dire consequences of everything you do.
Sometimes it is just as easy as it seems.  Unfortuantely, all those drill
bits are jumbled together and I don't remember which one was the truly
correct one for the spline fit hub holes.  The first one I tried was too
tight and the next bit was just right.  So if there is a tough part to the
conversion, its getting the right bits!

Glen