Re: Stud enlargement

To: <SDOliner@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stud enlargement
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:53:55 -0800
Hi David,

Just got back from the TG work trip.

I've been supplying 7/16-20 X 1 1/2" long studs for those who have wanted the
inch type.  Keep in mind now, I've been doing this for the folks who put a
Datsun 210 rear end assembly into a Morris and they are using disc hubs in the
front.  Also do them in metric, too.  Don't ask me why some want inches on one
end and metric on the other end of the car.

It really is best to have a counterbore that has rounded inside shoulders in
these cast iron pieces.  Right angles tend to crack.  These are done on a
milling machine and are just dead on for the circle, too.  No tramping here!!

It sounds like you're going to do this on a drum brake car.  You certainly
would NOT want to have the 2 screws hold the drum in alignment, using too
large holes for them to fit right on the new studs.  Even though these drums
are firmly pinched by the wheel lugs, there is also the need for transferring
the braking force to the studs, and I'd feel uncomfortable with all that being
held back with a pair of 1/4 X 28 screws.

Are you planning on drilling out the axles with the yet to be purchased drill
press<

Later, Paul A