New engine and tranny for Bugsy / Fun Toys I got to ride in

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: New engine and tranny for Bugsy / Fun Toys I got to ride in
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:41:55 -0800 (PST)
I spent Saturday picking up a 1275 and a ribcase for Bugsy. Engine Serial # is
12CD-DA-H-13832 and came out of a '69 Sprite. I think this is the original 1275
that came with this car, can anyone confirm that it is a Hi Compression 1275?

Engine came with a mechanical dizzy and has been totally desmogged. Engine was
running when removed from the car. Had developed a problem with using a quart
of oil every 100 miles but owner says he did not notice that car was burning
oil of had developed a leak. No PCV Valve on this one to get plugged. Engine is
vented from cam cover, round cannister thingy directly up to the carburetors
using a Y adapter.

I'm planning of running a compression test on this engine as soon as I can come
up with a replacement spin on filter adapter. The one on the engine was damaged
during engine removal and is cracked. Anyone have a spare they want to sell. I
also need to plug the oil pressure gauge hole before testing as I know already
how far oil at 70 psi can squirt sideways out of engine. P.O. claimed that
engine was still cranking out 60 psi. Will be curious to see what compression
is like.

Can I measure compression turning the engine over manually or is it better to
hook up the starter and crank it over to get a more accurate reading.

Decisions after compression test to replace Bugsy's 1098 with this 1275 right
now and replace the Smooth Case with the Rib Case Tranny that came along with
the engine or do a rebuild and keep driving Bugsy with a rebuilt 1098.

Hey while I was out visiting Mike Maloney in Tipp City, OH got a chance to ride
in his 3.1 Liter Pontiac Powered MGB-GT complete with Chevy T-5 5 speed tranny.
Talk about a sweet conversion, the GM V-6 fits right in place like it was make
for the car and V-6 and T-5 tranny are 70 lbs lighter than the BL boat anchor.
From external appearances, car looks to be stock other than the twin glasspacks
at the rear. Stock engine power is 180-200 horses. Engine is stock except for
headers and will run in low to mid 14's. Boy what a fun ride and what a way to
improve the fun quotient for an MGB. The hell with supercharging a MGB. For the
same price just aboutyou can replace with a V-6 and a 5 speed, get 32-33 mpg,
and get almost triple the stock horse power. IF I ever decide I need a little
more room and move to an MGB this is the way I'd go.

Mike's also working on a built 3.8 Liter for another MGB-GT that will put out
close to 300 HP. That one has got to be a fun, fun ride when it is done.

Cap'n Bob, you wanted more horsepower in your BE. Maybe a move to a V-6 powered
MGB  or MGB-GT is in your future.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH