Re: Front shock mountings

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front shock mountings
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:17:46 -0500
Cc: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
I would weld in new plates and do it right.  Back in 1969 I was zipping down
the 60 Freeway near Corona, CA at 65 mph when the left front shock mounting
bolts broke on my Bugeye.  The wheel folded in at the top and made steering
at that speed a real challenge!  Luckily for me and the car all that
happened was we tore up a bunch of grass in the center median and came to a
stop without hitting anything.  Yes, Martha - back then the 60 freeway was
just 4 lanes wide with a big wide grass strip down the middle.

If you say there are good reasons for not drilling the shocks (and you are
THE shock man Peter), then weld in new plates.  I wouldn't trust heli-coils
in that application either - too much stress on those threads.

Rick
same old '59 Bugeye since 1968