Re: NLBC - Unions

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: NLBC - Unions
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:35:00 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Well, Leo....we live, we learn.

Do we ever!  I was about as anti-union as they come, until I went to work
for the local transit district.  I woke up one morning to 2" of glare ice
with an inch of rain on top of it.  I slid past my car trying to walk out
the door.  When I called in to say it was not safe to drive, I was told that
anyone who did not report for their shift would be written up for
insubordination, and possibly fired.  I, along with most of my co-workers,
made it to the shop, signed out our buses, and drove 6 blocks to the nearest
restaurant, where we parked them and called in saying we had parked the
buses for safety reasons.  This satisfied the company's silly-
a**ed requirement, and we sat there the rest of our shift playing cards and
emptying coffee pots.  As an interesting note, all the office and
administrative personnel were called and told not to come in, because it was
too dangerous to drive.
Kate