Stripped thermostate housing bolt

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net> i11ED28A005773
Subject: Stripped thermostate housing bolt
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:15:26 -0500
Hi Folks,
Thought I9d get out into the garage and get into trouble last night.
Managed to accomplish a few things without a hitch, which is unusual.  But I
thought I9d look at one more thing before heading in.  The engine was having
trouble coming up to temp in December when I had it up and running, so I
thought I would check on the thermostat to see if a) there was one in there,
and b) if it was working properly.

Well I still don9t know the answer to a) or b) since one of the nuts is
stripped on the post.  Can9t believe I9ve had this car 20 years and not
known this.

Sooo, what is the best way to fix this?  Obviously I need to get a new stud.
I was thinking that I'd dremel the nut off, remove the housing and then
double nut the stud out of the head.  Double nut a new one back in, and then
be off to the races, so to speak.

What do you all think?  Am I missing anything.

Thanks as always,

Mike Gagne
Chapel Hill, NC
74 1275 midge