Speaking of Rubber . . .

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of Rubber . . .
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:07:26 -0500
I have been working on my '66 a lot this winter. Here's a tip I'll pass
along for your consideration.

Cleaning rust from rubber parts.

I find that some rubber parts are still OK to reuse, they are not cracked
and still flexible. However the parts are stained with rust from a clamp,
etc and I want to clean up the appearance.

To remove the rust I have used a drain cleaner available at Walmart. Look
for "Liquid Lightning Drain Opener." The active ingredient is Virgin
Sulfuric Acid so READ ALL THE WARNINGS ON THE BOTTLE. (aside: I have no
idea what VIRGIN sulfuric acid is. The chemical dictionaries say nothing
about VIRGIN SA and chemical engineers I have asked don't know either.)

Put your rubber parts in a glass jar. Add water to cover the parts. Add a
little drain opener - just a little (Martha Stewart doesn't measure - just
add a little - maybe a spoonful per two cups water - be careful).

Let the mixture sit overnight. You may see some bubbles as the acid attacks
the rust.

Rinse well, rinse well, rinse well. Then add some baking soda and water to
the jar and let it set a few hours.

Rince and dry the parts then coat with your favorite rubber treatment.

YMMV so proceed with caution. Don't use this on safety critical parts.

ps. Liquid Lightning works well as a drain cleaner too. It will dissolve
ANYTHING organic. Remember that YOU are organic when using this stuff. Be
careful.

Tim