computer brain trusts question

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: computer brain trusts question
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:48:38 -0600
OK youse guys,

Here's one for all youse pocket protector CPU/Windows/computer geeks.

When I first got my latest Windows XP Home system in Nov, 03... it rocked. I
mean it just screamed. It seems as if as the various Microsoft Windows
security patches and updates have been added, the CPU has slowed down
considerably. This opinion is shared by many that I've spoken to.

But, here's the thing that really has me puzzled... and its happened for
quite a long time. All of a sudden, when opening a screen, or even just
typing in an instant messenger window... the computer slows down to the
point where the "program is not responding" error message comes up. If I
wait long enough, it'll go away, and the program I'm tring to open works, or
the screen redraws, or the test that I've typed slowly fills the instant
messenger box.

Upon doing a "control/ALt/delete"and looking at the Windows Task
manager/Performance tab shows a CPU usage of 100%. This will continue,
sometimes for minutes, and then, it drops back down to 2-4%.

The machine has always been run behind a firewall, with anti-virus software
that is updated regularly. I run Spybot to keep the clutter to a minimum,
and the hard drive itself is defragged and optimized once a month.

So, brain trusts that know all and see all in this Windows world... what say
you? What's the problem?

(And for all you smug assholes preparing to make some crack about buying a
Mac... know that I'll walk to your house if I have to, in order to club you
like a baby seal.)

WST