Brackets for Steering Rack.

To: jabaustian@att.net
Subject: Brackets for Steering Rack.
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:22:35 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
I used a piece of inner tube, cut to size and glued to the inside of the
brackets. These brackets although they look like they will go on either way I
don't think they are asymetrical. Take a tap and clean out the bottom of the
bolt hole. You'll find all sorts of crud down there. Replace the bolts but make
sure one's you replace with are not too long. Found some Grade 8 at Sear's
hardware and they were possibly 1/16 too long. I
replaced rack and found out it was moving around even though rack appeared to
be firmly bolted in place. Bolts were bottoming out in the hole and not getting
tight enough. A extra washer solved the problem. Don't forget Loctite Blue on
the bolts.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH