Rear Brake Circlips

To: midgetsprite group <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Brake Circlips
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:49:38 -0800 (PST)
Aaaaaargh. 1969 Sprite. Replacing both rear wheel
cylinders. Is there some magic trick to getting the
circlips back on. I have tried everything that I could
think of. Hammer, screw driver, pliers. Just when I
think I have them on, I find that there is not enough
clearance between the brakeline fitting and the
bleeder fitting, or between the brakline fitting and
the backing plate attachment. Even with the bleeder
removed they still won't go on. The PO had used the
same type of circlip provided with the new cylinders
on the one side, but used a flexible washer and
another type of circlip (the kind with a hole in each
end that is normally associated with inside type
circlips.) Also, the new ones came without gaskets and
one of the old ones had a thin paper gasket. The other
had nothing. Hmmmmm?

Any hints from the experienced crew?

cheers, bill b.

=====